September 9, 2026 ~ The sun came up that morning even though it wasn’t supposed to.
Because you see, the world had changed overnight. The energy in our little family shifted, never to have the same vibrance.
At 1:25 am Wednesday, September 9, I was awakened by sorrowful meowing and unusual breathing. I soon realized it was Kukki, our 9 year old ginger cat. We immediately scooped him up and were on the road to the ER, 10 minutes down the road. He moaned occasionally and then was silent.
I didn’t realize it then, but that must have been when he passed away. Five minutes from the ER.
Once inside he was whisked to the back, only to have an ER Vet appear moments later. “I’m so sorry, Kukki has passed. There is no pulse, no heart beat.”
We were absolutely stunned. Words were not coming out, tears were welling up and shock was setting in. My first lucid thought was ~ How do we tell Drew?? Our 10.5 year old granddaughter bonded with Kukki when she was barely two years old. And although she only visited him a handful of times over the years she absolutely loved that boy. So much so that when she and her parents drove away last June she burst into tears because she didn’t want to leave Kukki.
Maybe she knew something… I had a strange premonition a month or two ago that some day the day will come that we will have to tell Drew that Kukki is no longer with us. I just didn’t think it would be so soon.
We adopted Kukki when he was a year old and he was already 20 pounds.
Kukki was one of a kind ~ a true ginger boy. Funny, curious, mischievous, bossy, affectionate, loving, involved, resilient. He was the poster boy for red tabbies. He was a goofball and did goofy things. He was like the cop on the beat when one of his siblings would have a scuffle. Always there in the middle of things. He was kind of the Gladys Kravitz, the nosy neighbor, of the cat world.




















BEAUTIFUL, as your words always are, Cindi,❤️❤️ he is there every time you have a thought about him. YOU KNOW HOW MUCH MY HEART BREAKS FOR YOU,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much. It comes in waves. Today's wave hit hard.
Delete