xoxo, me

My photo
Colorado, United States

Sunday, August 18, 2024

To Everything There is a Season

 Is it climate change? Or is it aging?

Well I know for sure that climate change is happening because the berries on the trees in my front yard used to turn orange, then red, then fall off the tree in late September. This year I noticed them beginning to turn orange in late July. By early August they were turning red and by mid-August they were falling off the trees. 

My studio window faces southeast. Typically summer sunrises are out of my reach and don’t come about until mid to late September. November and December bring the most brilliant sunrises… I got lucky this morning and caught a pink sunrise – only for a moment. I don’t accredit that to climate change as much as a fluke, but nowadays? Who knows.


I am sensitive to the seasons and grateful that I live in a place where we have seasonal changes. But those seasons are changing. I feel it. The summers are hotter and drier; the winters colder and drier, yet with bursts of surprise blizzards. Fall lately seems to come a bit earlier and sometimes stay a bit longer. Which is fine by me as it is my favorite season. Spring is fleeting and that makes me sad.

 I tend to nest and hibernate when the weather turns cooler – and I relish that. I can’t wait for that. Maybe my Norwegian/Danish genes are why I am so drawn to Hygge. This year – here we are, mid-August and I’m craving Hygge.

 Or is it 70 in the offing?

 I recently read:

“Research has shown that when people get older, they commonly recalibrate their goals. Though they might be doing less, they tend to prioritize what they find meaningful and appreciate. A decline in openness to new experiences could reflect someone relishing their routine rather than seeking new thrills… a decline in extroversion could indicate they are satisfied spending time with people they already love.”

I’ve never claimed to be an extrovert, quite the opposite. But I can relate to that statement. I’m settled. I’m content. I do what brings me joy. I spend time with causes and people (and animals, of course) who bring me joy. And I am oh so grateful to have the gift of time to do all of that.

Climate change and aging. There is some symmetry there.

No comments:

Post a Comment